Building Department / Property Standards
The Property Standards Officer for the Municipality of South Bruce is Kirk Livingston. He can be reached by calling 519-392-6623 ext 228 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. The By law and it's contents may be reviewed by clicking on the link below.
Prior to any construction, please contact the municipal office and obtain an application to apply for a permit, OR advise your contractor that permits are required. You may obtain a Building Permit Application Form here. On Site Sewage Application Form Sewage Permit Application Form but permits must be returned with an original signature by fax, in person or via mail.
Please be advised that any construction that is started without first obtaining a building permit will be charged two times the cost of the permit fee.
When is a Building Permit Required?
The Ontario Building Code is a Provincial regulation that is enforced and administered by the Building Department of the Municipality of South Bruce. The Ontario Building Code pertains to the structural, health, and fire safety of buildings and ensures construction meets or exceeds a specific minimum standard. Whether or not you need a building permit, you should consult with the building department to ensure your proposal complies with the Municipal zoning bylaw.
You will need a building permit for:
· Construction of a new building
· Renovating an existing building
· Additions to existing buildings
· Finishing off a basement
· Re-insulating walls when exterior or interior finishing has been removed
· Making structural alterations to window and / or door openings
· A new attached or detached garage, porch, balcony or deck, carports, sunrooms, solariums, sheds
· Excavating a basement or constructing a foundation
· Installation of new fireplaces, wood burning stoves, chimneys
· Farm buildings and additions, silos, steel grain bins, liquid manure tanks,
· Swimming pools, above and inground
· Renovations and alterations
· Changing the use of a building
· Demolition of a building, except for farm buildings
· Wind turbines
· Solar facilities, roof or ground mounted
· All tarped/fabric structures
· Septic/Sewage system Permits
You do not need a building permit to:
· Replace existing same sized doors and windows
· Installing siding
· Construct a utility shed under 107 square feet
· Erect a fence (except for swimming pools, also must meet zoning provisions)
· Re-shingle a roof with no structural work
· Installing eaves trough, provided the drainage is on your land
· Painting or decorating
· Kitchen or bathroom cabinets
Latest NewsletterTreasurer's Newsletter - Fall 2012
Fall Newsletter including Budget and Financial Information for the Municipality of South Bruce
Posted: August 15, 2012